Deputy Executive Director and Head of Evaluation
Dr. Jyotsna (Jo) Puri leads 3ie’s evaluation team and is head of office. Jo is a member of 3ie’s senior management team, leads 3ie’s open, thematic and policy related grant windows and is also responsible for fund raising.
Email: jpuri(at)3ieimpact.org Download CV (218.6 KB)
Jo Puri has over fifteen years of experience in evaluation and evidence-based policy and has worked earlier at the World Bank and the United Nations. Previously she was Associate Research Scientist at Columbia University and adjunct faculty at the School of International and Public Affairs.
Jo’s main work in the evidence-policy spectrum has been in poverty, agriculture, environment, infrastructure, health and energy. She has worked and engaged with national governments in Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean and led several inter-agency evaluations. She has advised and developed evaluation systems for several organizations including the MacArthur Foundation, UNICEF, the Millennium Villages Project (Columbia University), UNDP and GEF.
Jo is the lead author of a book on development indicators produced by UNDP and co-edited a book discussing implications of climate change commitments for developing countries. She is a contributing author and reviewer for UNEP’s Green Economy Report. She holds a Ph.D. and M.Sc. in Agriculture and Resource Economics, and a Masters in Development Economics.
- Factors affecting agricultural expansion in forest reserves of Thailand: The role of population and roads.
- Measuring Human Development: A Primer (lead author)
- Fuel prices, woodlands and woodfuel markets in the Sahel: An integrated socio-ecological model (with Ken Chomitz and Charles Griffiths)
- Predicting the location of deforestation: The role of roads and protected areas in North Thailand (with Maureen Cropper and Charles Griffiths)
- Transport and Poverty in Guatemala: A Profile using Data from the ENCOVI 2000.
- GEF modalities paper: A review of other aid delivery modalities: What can GEF find relevant? (with Juha Uitto)
- Investing in Natural capital (Green Economy, UNEP) (Invited chapter contributor)
- A study of Connectivity in Millennium Villages in Africa (lead author)
- “Independent evaluation of Conservation and Sustainable Development Grants (2000-2009) for the MacArthur Foundation,” with Michael P. Wells, Claudia Alderman and Sarah L. Timpson, July 2010.
- Joint Implementation of Climate Change Commitments: Opportunities and Apprehensions, (With P. Ghosh) The Energy Research Institute, 1994.
- “Measuring poverty in the US: The Economics of Deprivation, Need and Exclusion,” Background paper prepared for the American Human Development Report, 2007.