3ie's Candidate Studies List includes impact evaluations deemed to be influential, innovative and/or controversial by the development community.
This initial list was formed through a crowdsourcing effort, with guidance from the Replication Programme's Advisory Group.
The list will be periodically updated. Please email impact evaluation replication suggestions to: replication(at)3ieimpact.org
3ie Replication Programme Candidate Studies List
- Angrist, Joshua, Eric Bettinger, Erik Bloom, Elizabeth King, and Michael Kremer. "Vouchers for Private Schooling in Colombia: Evidence from a Randomized Natural Experiment." American Economic Review 92, no. 5 (2002): 1535-58.
- Ashraf, Nava, Dean Karlan, and Wesley Yin. "Tying Odysseus to the Mast: Evidence from a Commitment Savings Product in the Philippines." Quarterly Journal of Economics 121, no. 2 (2006): 635-72.
- Baird, Sarah J., Richard S. Garfein, Craig T. McIntosh, and Berk Özler. "Effect of a Cash Transfer Programme for Schooling on Prevalence of Hiv and Herpes Simplex Type 2 in Malawi: A Cluster Randomised Trial." The Lancet 379, no. 9823 (2012): 1320-29.
- Basinga, Paulin, Paul J. Gertler, Agnes Binagwaho, Agnes L. B. Soucat, Jennifer Sturdy, and Christel M. J. Vermeersch. "Effect on Maternal and Child Health Services in Rwanda of Payment to Primary Health-Care Providers for Performance: An Impact Evaluation." The Lancet 377, no. 9775 (2011): 1421-28.
- Björkman, Martina, and Jakob Svensson. "Power to the People: Evidence from a Randomized Field Experiment on Community-Based Monitoring in Uganda." The Quarterly Journal of Economics 124, no. 2 (May 1 2009): 735-69.
- Cattaneo, Matias D., Sebastian Galiani, Paul J. Gertler, Sebastian Martinez, and Rocio Titiunik. "Housing, Health, and Happiness." American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 1, no. 1 (2009): 75-105.
- Chattopadhyay, Raghabendra, and Esther Duflo. "Women as Policy Makers: Evidence from a Randomized Policy Experiment in India." Econometrica 72, no. 5 (2004): 1409-43.
- Cohen, Jessica, and Pascaline Dupas. "Free Distribution or Cost-Sharing? Evidence from a Randomized Malaria Prevention Experiment." The Quarterly Journal of Economics 125, no. 1 (February 1 2010): 1-45.
- Coleman, Brett. "The Impact of Group Lending in Northeast Thailand." Journal of Development Economics 60, no. 1 (1999): 105-41.
- Duflo, Esther, and Rohini Pande. "Dams." Quarterly Journal of Economics 122, no. 2 (2007): 601-46.
- Filmer, Deon, and Norbert Schady. "Getting Girls into School: Evidence from a Scholarship Program in Cambodia." Economic Development and Cultural Change 56, no. 3 (2008): 581-617.
- Finkel, Steven E., and Amy Erica Smith. "Civic Education, Political Discussion, and the Social Transmission of Democratic Knowledge and Values in a New Democracy: Kenya 2002." American Journal of Political Science 55, no. 2 (2011): 417-35.
- Galiani, Sebastian, and Ernesto Schargrodsky. "Property Rights for the Poor: Effects of Land Titling." Journal of Public Economics 94, no. 9-10 (2010): 700-29.
- Jensen, Robert. "The Digital Provide: Information (Technology), Market Performance, and Welfare in the South Indian Fisheries Sector." Quarterly Journal of Economics 122, no. 3 (2007): 879-924.
- Karlan, Dean, and Jonathan Zinman. "Microcredit in Theory and Practice: Using Randomized Credit Scoring for Impact Evaluation." Science 332, no. 6035 (June 10 2011): 1278-84.
- Lim, Stephen S., Lalit Dandona, Joseph A. Hoisington, Spencer L. James, Margaret C. Hogan, and Emmanuela Gakidou. "India's Janani Suraksha Yojana, a Conditional Cash Transfer Programme to Increase Births in Health Facilities: An Impact Evaluation." The Lancet 375, no. 9730 (2010): 2009-23.
- Maluccio, John A., John Hoddinott, Jere R. Behrman, Reynaldo Martorell, Agnes R. Quisumbing, and Aryeh D. Stein. "The Impact of Improving Nutrition During Early Childhood on Education among Guatemalan Adults." The Economic Journal 119, no. 537 (2009): 734-63.
- McKenzie, David, Steven Stillman, and John Gibson. "How Important Is Selection? Experimental Vs. Non-Experimental Measures of the Income Gains from Migration." Journal of the European Economic Association 8, no. 4 (2010): 913-45.
- Olken, Benjamin A. "Monitoring Corruption: Evidence from a Field Experiment in Indonesia." Journal of Political Economy 115, no. 2 (2007): 200-49.
- Reinikka, Ritva, and Jakob Svensson. "Fighting Corruption to Improve Schooling: Evidence from a Newspaper Campaign in Uganda." Journal of the European Economic Association 3, no. 2-3 (2005): 259-67.
- Thirumurthy, Harsha, Joshua Graff Zivin, and Markus Goldstein. "The Economic Impact of Aids Treatment: Labor Supply in Western Kenya." Journal of Human Resources 43, no. 3 (June 20 2008): 511-52.
- Tripathy, Prasanta, Nirmala Nair, Sarah Barnett, Rajendra Mahapatra, Josephine Borghi, Shibanand Rath, Suchitra Rath, et al. "Effect of a Participatory Intervention with Women's Groups on Birth Outcomes and Maternal Depression in Jharkhand and Orissa, India: A Cluster-Randomised Controlled Trial." The Lancet 375, no. 9721 (2010): 1182-92.
- Wagstaff, Adam, Magnus Lindelow, Gao Jun, Xu Ling, and Qian Juncheng. "Extending Health Insurance to the Rural Population: An Impact Evaluation of China's New Cooperative Medical Scheme." Journal of Health Economics 28, no. 1 (2009): 1-19.