The International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie) is an international NGO that promotes evidence-informed equitable, inclusive and sustainable development. We support the generation and effective use of high-quality evidence to inform decision-making and improve the lives of people living in poverty in low- and middle-income countries (L&MICs). We provide guidance and support to produce, synthesize and quality-assure evidence of what works, for whom, how, why and at what cost. 3ie is registered as a non-governmental organization in the United States. It has offices in New Delhi, London and Washington, DC.
3ie promotes evidence-informed development through its evidence programs, production of public goods, professional services, and support to institutional advancement initiatives. The evidence programs include theory-based, mixed-methods impact evaluations, implementation research, systematic reviews, evidence gap maps, and replication studies. Our work encompasses a wide range of topics, sectors and themes, including but not limited to health, nutrition, education, agriculture, governance, microfinance, climate change, humanitarian interventions, and social protection.
At 3ie, we believe that gender equality underpins just, peaceful and sustainable development. This is reflected in our commitment towards studying what works to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment in diverse contexts, as well as our cross-sectoral evaluations and reviews that pay attention to gender and other contextual drivers of inequality. 3ie has a large program of work in India supporting the government in identifying and sharing what works to enhance women’s livelihoods and their economic and social empowerment. We are inviting applications for the post of Lead Evaluation and External Engagement Specialist to head this important work portfolio and also support our work in other sectors. This is a senior-level position based in New Delhi, India.
In addition to heading our gender and livelihoods portfolio of work, the successful candidate will also lead 3ie’s engagement, policy dialogue and reporting activities with funders, government and other partners in India. They will provide technical and management leadership for evidence programs and professional services (including impact evaluations, formative evaluations, replication and synthesis, and capacity development). Key activities include managing research activities, writing program documents, reviewing grant proposals, quality-assuring studies and supporting the preparation of proposal materials for fundraising. In various capacities, they will liaise directly with funders and represent 3ie at meetings with policymakers, researchers and partners.
The Lead Evaluation and External Engagement Specialist will assume full management responsibility for projects and programs and will supervise and mentor junior staff. They will be expected to establish strong and collaborative relations with staff across all 3ie offices, with principal investigators and academic researchers, and other stakeholders in the field. They will play an important outward-facing role, writing content for publications, social media, and 3ie’s website. They will lead and/or participate in meetings, events, conferences, and workshops, and participate in internal and external committees, boards and panels.
The successful candidate will have significant experience in research in the field of gender equality and empowerment of women, as well as in the field of evaluation. They will have demonstrated expertise in implementing research and translating research evidence for decision-makers in lower and middle-income countries (L&MICs). The candidate will also have strong professional networks in the Indian public and not-for-profit sectors. We are seeking a highly diplomatic and entrepreneurial individual who is comfortable taking initiative and who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
The Lead Evaluation and External Engagement Specialist will report to 3ie’s Director of Evaluation. International and domestic travel is expected approximately 10 to 20 percent of the time if conditions permit.
Evaluation management and technical assistance
- Manage impact evaluation and research projects, oversee evidence programs and research grants in the areas of livelihoods and gender. The role may also include support to evaluation programs in other sectors, including health, nutrition, education, agriculture, governance, climate change, microfinance, humanitarian interventions and social protection, among others. To the extent possible, we try to ensure a match between expertise, interest and available programs to be managed
- Conduct and advise on scoping studies, formative research, process evaluations, replication studies, systematic reviews and evidence gap maps
- Provide technical assistance and capacity development for key 3ie stakeholders, on topics including but not limited to evaluation methods and study design, research transparency, reproducibility and ethics initiatives, and evidence uptake and use
- Work with consultants and stakeholders in the field, as well as with 3ie staff, to ensure documentation of 3ie’s evaluation programs
- Contribute to 3ie’s public goods initiatives, including transparent, reproducible and ethical evidence (TREE), survey methods and data quality assurance, costing, data innovations and virtual training
- Lead on the development of innovative methods, technical guidelines and implementation of research-related policies
Project management and grant administration
- Provide program management leadership and support for research and professional services grants and contracts to ensure the strategic, programmatic, technical, financial, and contractual integrity from project start-up through implementation and completion
- Ensure that grant and contract implementation and spending are aligned with approved budgets, workplans and 3ie policies and practices
- Undertake technical review of draft reports and other technical outputs
- Recruit, on-board, manage and supervise staff and consultants, as required, and mentor junior staff, as needed
- serve in the capacity of acting director
Institutional advancement and communications
- Serve as 3ie’s liaison and representative with donors, policymakers and development partners
- Represent 3ie in evaluation and development fora, including technical working groups and donor, bilateral, and multilateral consultative groups and meetings
- Strengthen and build relationships with 3ie’s key stakeholders, including members, donors, policymakers and researchers
- Lead and contribute to technical reports, publications, briefs, blogs, website content, and other social media on evidence programs and professional services
- Lead on business development activities and undertake a substantial role in reaching out to donors and representing 3ie
- Engage in strategic growth and diversification of 3ie initiatives to cultivate donors, develop partnerships, write technical proposals, and support innovations in program development
Qualifications, experience and skills
Education and work experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, public policy, evaluation or other relevant social sciences field is required, Doctorate degree preferred. At least 10 years of relevant professional experience;
- Substantial knowledge and expertise in gender research and policy analysis
- Demonstrated experience in in-depth research using quantitative and qualitative research methods, particularly in relation to gender
- Demonstrated knowledge of experimental and quasi-experimental methods applied in impact evaluation (randomized control trials, regression discontinuity designs, difference-in-difference, synthetic control method, propensity score matching, interrupted time series, etc)
- Project management experience, with grants management experience strongly preferred
- Experience working with high-level officials in funding agencies, international organizations, private foundations and government institutions
- Academic knowledge of and direct field experience in the areas of livelihoods and gender, with additional experience in one or more of the following sectors highly desirable: health, nutrition, education, agriculture, governance, climate change, microfinance, humanitarian interventions, social protection, or other social sector programming in L&MICs
- Experience in L&MIC policy development and/or policy implementation at either the national or sub-national level preferred
- Experience of Indian policy environment and strong professional networks
- Experience supporting business development activities, donor cultivation and demonstrated ability to write technical proposals across one or more development sectors preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication as well as presentation skills in English; with professional proficiency in additional languages highly preferred
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the flexibility and willingness to adapt to shifting priorities and deadlines
- Experience managing staff
- Excellent cross-cultural skills and diplomacy, and a reputation for being a strategic thinker, innovator and networker
We will recruit one individual with the right to work in India, and preferably based in New Delhi. 3ie is an equal-opportunity employer committed to equality and diversity. We do not discriminate based on sex, age, religion, ethnicity, caste, sexual orientation or for being differently abled. We particularly encourage ethnic minorities and differently-abled persons to apply.
Terms of employment
Candidates should be available to start work no later than January 2023. 3ie offers competitive remuneration based on experience and qualifications. Our policies and procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults from abuse. We follow a zero-tolerance policy for any form of bullying or harassment in the workplace.
How to apply
Please apply by e-mail to (email@example.com) and mention ‘Lead Evaluation and External Engagement Specialist’ in the subject line. The applicant must provide, at a minimum*, the following information:
- A cover letter, not exceeding two pages, highlighting your experience relevant to the terms of reference. A summary on your CV is not a substitute
- Curriculum vitae (not to exceed two pages)
- Contact information for three professional references
*Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We will contact only the shortlisted candidates.