The International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie) promotes evidence-informed equitable, inclusive and sustainable development. We support the generation and effective use of high-quality evidence to inform decision-making and improve the lives of people living in poverty in low- and middle-income countries. We provide guidance and support to produce, synthesize and quality-assure evidence of what works, for whom, how, why and at what cost. 3ie is registered as a non-governmental organization in the United States. It has offices in New Delhi, London and Washington, DC.
Our programs and projects include theory-based, mixed-methods impact evaluations, implementation research, systematic reviews, evidence gap maps, and replication studies. Our work encompasses a wide range of topics, sectors and themes, including but not limited to: health services, nutrition, education, governance, microfinance, humanitarian, social protection, agriculture, and related social sector programming.
3ie is inviting applications for the post of Senior Business Development Associate to work remotely, maintaining core hours conducive to working with colleagues in the Delhi, London and Washington offices. Candidates based in India, the African and Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) region are also welcome to apply.
The Senior Business Development Associate will report to the Business Development and Strategy Specialist and will be responsible for a variety of tasks outlined below. They will work closely with technical staff on developing competitive proposals, strengthening the business development knowledge base at 3ie and implementing research projects. The ideal candidate is passionate about using evidence for decision-making, developing tools and processes and winning new projects to implement. While the key responsibilities of this role are within business development, the associate may contribute to research and project management, and this balance could change over time as 3ie wins new projects.
- Manage a portfolio of proposals, including opportunities funded by the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office, the United States Agency for International Development, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, development banks and foundations. This includes ensuring that standard processes and systems are implemented in a timely manner, coordinating partnership discussions, and contributing to the technical and non-technical writing of the proposal.
- Develop and implement business development systems including bid management processes, tools and templates.
- Manage queries related to the smooth functioning of business development, including coordinating with technical and finance teams, as well as local service providers, as needed.
- Contribute to providing information, data analysis, and intelligence to support 3ie’s pipeline, pursuit decisions, and growth strategies.
- Maintain Salesforce® database and create reports for the senior management team.
- Maintain 3ie’s knowledge base on past performance, boilerplate language and proposal tools.
- Support the development of budgets, cost annexes and notes for proposal efforts.
- Serve as Technical Lead on specific bids of interest, developing technical strategies, interviewing key staff, writing research methodologies, and developing partner scopes of work.
- Provide research support to evaluation and synthesis projects, including data analysis, statistical and econometric analysis, coding, preparation of tables, graphs and figures, literature reviews and others.
- Support for the preparation and review of research proposals and research articles.
- Support for writing and producing reports, research papers and briefs.
- Provide program management support for grants and contracts to ensure the strategic, programmatic, technical, financial, and contractual integrity from project start-up through implementation and completion.
- Oversee project budgets and contribute to quarterly reviews.
Qualifications and skills
Education and work experience
- Bachelor’s degree in social science, business administration, project management, or other relevant degrees (Master’s degree strongly preferred).
- Three to five years of experience in business development, proposal writing and development in the international development sector.
- Project management and/or research experience will be an advantage.
- Familiarity and understanding of the development sector donors is desired.
- Prior experience managing complex proposals, including coordinating teams, developing technical and financial proposals, and following business development protocols.
- Prior experience in writing and producing reports, research papers or briefs.
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively at a technical level in English, both oral and written, is mandatory.
- A strong ability to work on a team and under pressure with strict deadlines
- Proactiveness and willingness to take initiative.
- Comfortable working in a virtual environment, both independently and in matrixed teams.
- Knowledge of MS Office applications, including but not limited to Word®, Excel®, PowerPoint®, SharePoint® and Teams®.
- Proficient in working on Salesforce®.
We will recruit one individual to work with us remotely, maintaining core hours conducive to working with colleagues in the Delhi, London and Washington offices. Candidates based in India, the African and Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) regions are also welcome to apply. 3ie is an equal opportunity employer committed to equality and diversity. We do not discriminate based on sex, age, religion, ethnicity, caste, sexual orientation or for being differently-abled. We particularly encourage ethnic minorities and differently abled persons to apply.
Terms of employment
Candidates should be available to start work as soon as possible. 3ie offers competitive remuneration based on location, experience and qualifications.
Our policies and procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults from abuse. We follow a zero-tolerance policy for any form of bullying or harassment in the workplace.
How to apply
Please apply by e-mail to email@example.com mentioning ‘3ie Senior Business Development Associate’ in the subject line and specify your country of residence. The applicant must provide, at a minimum*, the following information:
- A cover letter, not exceeding one page, highlighting your qualifications and experience relevant to the terms of reference.
- Curriculum vitae (not to exceed two pages);
Successful applicants should expect to:
- Provide contact information of three professional references; and
- Take a timed assessment to determine technical and proposal writing skills.
*Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.