3ie at CEDIL 2022 conference: Strengthening evidence use during the pandemic and beyond
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, decision-makers have needed rapid access to evidence to inform policy responses. The crisis has highlighted the need to be responsive in generating and drawing on existing high-quality evidence, while dealing with high levels of uncertainty and difficult trade-offs. It has also highlighted the importance of learning from both global and local evidence. The evidence community has come together in a variety of ways to understand decision-maker needs and make evidence accessible. Building stakeholder networks, providing rapid evidence services, and developing evidence maps and portals are some of the many approaches used by evidence producers to support the pandemic-response effort. The 2022 CEDIL conference will feature expert speakers from around the world. They will share experiences and lessons learned on generating and using evidence during a crisis. The conference will also be an opportunity to discuss innovative approaches, methods, and themes that have gained importance during the pandemic – including evaluating complex development interventions, using big data and machine learning, and developing rigorous approaches for transferring evidence and applying learning across contexts.
Maintaining learning during the pandemic
COVID-19 has disrupted schooling, caused severe learning losses, and exacerbated inequalities across the world. This session will focus on how to maximize the effectiveness of learning in the context of the pandemic and consider what evidence we need for informing decision-making.
Date: 23 March 2022
Time: 12:00-01:30 hrs (GMT)
Moderator: Marie Gaarder, Executive Director, 3ie
- Dr Noam Angrist, Executive Director, Young 1ove Botswana
- Dr Shwetlena Sabarwal, Senior Economist, Education Global Practice, The World Bank
- Sally Gear, Head of Profession, Education, FCDO
- Dr Pooja Reddy Nakamura, Principal Researcher, International Development Division, American Institute for Research
- Siddesh Mhatre, Co-Head, MME and Lead Operations, Direct Elementary Programs, Pratham Education Foundation
- Dr Dennis K. Mugimba, Ministry of Education & Sports, Uganda